Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Pediatrics

So. I've been putting off this post because thinking about it makes me annoyed.

But Gwen's been to see the doctor, by now, and everything seems fine, by the by. She's tiny, only in the 5% for weight and length, and something liek 10% for head.

Remember how I said there was a snaffu with the first pediactric appointment? It had to do with insurance and having the doctor we were planning on having Gwen see listed as her primary care physician--so we'd have to pay full for the visit to see Dr. J. We decided just to let it go, and see her actual PCP later that week.

So I called, made an appointment for "new patient, new baby for Dr. N" (the ACTUAL WORDS I said on the phone). Well, their computer was down or something, so they couldn't make an appointment for me that day, I'd need to call back in a few days. Ugh. Fine. Not a big deal.

I'd been talking to Dr. N's office for a couple of months, asking if I needed to do anything to prepare, etc etc. They always told me that there was nothing that needed to be done until she was born, etc.

So I called back in a few days, AGAIN saying "New patient, new baby appointment." Got an appointment.

We went to said appointment. Apparently the office had recently changed ownership so we had a bunch of new paper work to fill out, etc etc. We're waiting in the waiting room for about 30 min, when they call me up to the desk again. And that's where they tell me that Dr. N isn't taking new patients and ... how did I get an appointment? I must not have told them that she was a new patient. So sorry! :| They end up working me into another doctor at that office, which apparently is okay on my insurance.

Dr. H. is a nice enough man, and I don't doubt his competence as a doctor. But we had picked Dr. N, instead of getting a separate pediatrician, because she is PCP to both Luke and me. So it was because she'd be our "family doctor".

So now, a dilemma: Get a pediatrician? Or stick with Dr. H? Opinions?

Gwen also had her retinal recheck, nothing new to really report there. Continuing to monitor, recheck again in a few weeks. I bought her little baby sunglasses because she's getting her eyes dilated so often. >.>

5 comments:

  1. I have a good pediatrician if you want one - she's been great with our girls so far and is right near Shawnee Mission Medical. Are you going to Children's Mercy for the eye doctor visits? We went there last week for Piper - 2 hours for a 20 minute appointment. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your PCP won't take the baby also? Or were you switching doctors for everyone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right now we have a pediatrician for Vincent and not a family doctor. The cool thing about the medical group we found is that the pediatrician and the family doctor are in the same building just different floors. We have been very pleased with our doctor for him so far. When Vincent gets older, he will just switch floors! I'm surprised to hear if you and Luke are patients, why Dr. N won't add Gwen. odd....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Put my vote in the "pediatrician" column. I'm a fan of appropriate specialization, what can I say?

    She's beautiful, by the way!

    (Julia R.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there Jennifer - Happy Thanksgiving! Gwen is so sweet!

    I'd talk to Dr N directly. Sometimes support staff just misses the boat. I've had to fax my doctor to get him the message sometimes, but he's told to do that if I feel his staff is giving me the run around. Point out that you'd like to all have the same dr. and would prefer not to have to switch. Mention the issues you've had thus far. If you really want to stick with Dr. N you might give it a try. Just make some noise.

    BTW - next time you are at the waiting room and they do that sort of thing to you, insist on speaking with the office manager. Say it rather loudly if you must. It's always worked for me.

    :)

    I've never been too spunky when it comes for standing up for myself at the Dr's office until I learned from my Mother-in-law. Her youngest son has down's syndrome so she's learned to be proactive. I can't tell you how much good advice she's given me in this area. It's always worked too.

    Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete